What is a Board of Education?
A school board member in New York State serves as a state official. The board's powers are derived from the state Constitution, laws of New York State, and rulings of the state Commisioner of Education. As elected representatives, board members ensure that the school remains responsive to the needs of district residents by serving as a link between school and community. The Board of Education establishes official policy and sets goals for the school district. Board decisions can be made only by the Board acting as a whole in a public meeting.
Board of Education Meeting Schedule
Meetings typically start at 6:00 p.m. and alter locations based on the particular date. Board of Education meetings at the elementary building are held in the cafetorium and in the library at the high school.
Board of Education Members and terms
The Board is composed of seven community members who are elected to 5-year terms by district residents.
- Robert Lemay, President--term expires 6/2019
- Keith Kraus, Vice President--term expires 6/2021
- Andrew Butler--term expires 6/2020
- Jodi VanGorden--term expires 6/2022
- Chad Groff--term expires 6/2022
- Amy Aldrich--term expires 6/2021
- Jason Hayes--term expires 6/2023
Melinda Morgan, District Clerk, 792-3675 ext. 7313